February 17, 2010

Bystander Behavior

It's crazy to think of how a bad situation could've been so much better or completely avoided sometimes, if someone watching would've stepped in to help. So many of us are bystanders that we may not even notice sometimes. We see something wrong going on but either we assume somebody else will help or we just don't feel like getting involved in the situation. Why are we like that though? We should want to step in and help out. I know I have been a bystander in certain situations when I should've done something, but I am working on that and try to step in or get help if I know the problem is out of my control.

The most common thing I have been a bystander to is people saying things about other people, either to their face and putting them down, or behind their backs. Either way it's wrong. I don't stand by as much now as I used to. I will step in if I know the story and know what is going on. People don't realize how just their words can stick with someone forever.

In college I think students may have a hard time speaking up against wrong doing against others because you don't know everyone like you did in junior high and high school. In high school if you spoke up against wrong doing you most likely knew the people and weren't usually embarassed, but in college it's a completely different world because it could be a set of people that you have never seen or met before but know that the situation is wrong; however, you can't work up the courage to go and stop it. Others may have a different view point though, that college students are more mature than high school or junior high students so they may be more likely to speak up against wrong doing. It all depends on the type of person you are and what the situation is.

I think everyone, myself included, should speak up more against wrong doing. Maybe then some situations wouldn't get as bad as they do. I don't think we realize how much it could really help someone.

Well I better go. I'll be more attentive to wrong doings now and speak up or go seek help in situations that I know aren't right. We all should!

Happy Wednesday!
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment